Beyoncé, Kelly Clarkson, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Miguel and Snoop Lion are all up for the third-ever Best Video With a Message award, and each of their vids is jam-packed with inspiring messages and social commentary, down to the very last second. Watch ‘em closely — verrrrry closely — then take our quiz to test your music and activism knowledge.
1. What is the logo behind Beyoncé at the start of the video for?
B. United Nations
C. Feeding America
2. What is the color is Kelly’s getaway vehicle?
3. When were DOMA and Prop 8 overturned?
A. May 26, 2013
B. June 26, 2013
C. July 26, 2013
4. Which phrase is spray painted on a wall in Miguel’s video?
A. “What does freedom cost?”
B. “When will freedom come?”
C. “How does freedom feel?”
5. Snoop Lion partnered with MTV + Jewelry for a Cause to create this anti-gun violence bracelet:
A. The MTV x Caliber bracelet
B. The MTV x Safety bracelet
C. The MTV x Control bracelet
Answers: 1. B 2. A 3. B 4. C 5. A
How’d you do? Now that you’re all up on these VMA nominees, pick a favorite, vote, then take action for a related cause. And don’t miss the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday, August 25th on MTV.
Love Is Louder
All of these VMA nominees use their music to prove that Love Is Louder. Join the movement now!
Fight Digital Bullies
Make the digital world a better place for everyone with A Thin Line!