Yo, we’ve had so much fun lately with the Rapper or Republican face-off that we just had to take it one step further. So we singled out two heavyweights on both sides — Newt Gingrich and Kanye West — and threw them in the quote dome to see if y’all could tell the difference between game spit by a former Congressman on the political warpath or a MC mogul on a lyrical high.
Think you got this? Well, you might be surprised by the similarities. Newt served as a Georgia Congressman for two decades and Kanye was born in Hotlanta. One earned a spot on DC’s most powerful list as a Speaker of the House, the other is music’s most notorious Speaker of His Mind. They love to overshare Millenial-style – whether it’s on Twitter or on stage. Gingrich and West are known for their short fuses and bad cases of verbal diarrhea, so they’ve had no problem starting mad beef amongst the GOP or hip-hop top brass in the past. (Or with sweet country stars.) Bottom line: ‘Ye and Newt are hella controversial, that’s fo sho — and whether you’re a lover or a hater, you can’t deny that these two dudes keep it interesting.
So without further ado, here is a sampling of the more entertaining ish to come outta their mouths. G’head, we bet ya won’t get them all!
1. “There’s a large part of me that’s four years old. I wake up in the morning and I know that somewhere there’s a cookie. I don’t know where it is but I know it’s mine and I have to go find it. That’s how I live my life. My life is amazingly filled with fun.”
2. “I believe in myself like a five-year-old believes in himself. They say look at me, look at me! Then they do a flip in the backyard. It won’t even be that amazing, but everyone will be clapping for them.”
3. “I will spark a generation of thinkers who will question traditional thought until they find the absolute truth.”
4. “I have enormous personal ambition. I want to shift the entire planet. And I’m doing it. I am now a famous person. I represent real power.”
5. “It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
6. “I’m going down as a legend, whether or not you like me or not.”
7.“Primary mission, Advocate of civilization, Definer of civilization, Teacher of the rules of civilization, Leader of the civilizing forces.”
8. “I realize that my place and position in history is that I will go down as the voice of this generation. Of this decade, I will be the loudest voice.”
9. “A mere 40 years ago, beach volleyball was just beginning. No bureaucrat would have invented it, and that’s what freedom is all about.”
10. “She isn’t young enough or pretty enough to be the President’s wife.” (Referring to an ex.)
11. “I’m like a tree. I feed the branches of the people.”
12. “I’m like a machine. I’m a robot. You cannot offend a robot.”
Follow Power Of 12
Get your dose of election updates and ways to get involved in 140 characters or less thanks to @MTVPowerof12
Like MTV's Power Of 12
Interact with the Power of 12 campaign on Facebook, and share your favorite posts with friends on your wall!