Our last Democrat or Diva matchup was so money that even Butterfly Queen Mariah Carey “can’t even know what to say” about the fact that we paired her up with Joe Biden (They are kindred souls). This week we’re doubling down on girl power with a feisty female pairing: Nancy Pelosi vs. P!nk! Y’all ready to get this quote party started?!
First, let’s paint the family portrait of these two ladies. Both grew up Daddy’s girls in the Northeast — P!nk’s guitar-playing papa inspired her to be a rock star and Nancy got her political chops from her pops, a hard-nosed mayor of Baltimore. These independent ladies then made their way to Cali to launch inspiring careers and reach the top of their game.
Hard-as-nails Nancy (she even rejected the King of Pop) went on to become the first woman to serve as Speaker of the House (she’s currently the Minority Leader) — making her the highest-ranking female politician in America’s history. P!nk pioneered a new path for pop starlets like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga with her daring style and in-your-face lyrics, selling 40 million albums worldwide and earning a “Pop Artist of the Decade” title from Billboard. In other words, we are def NOT dealing with stupid girls!
When you’ve busted through a glass ceiling like these gals, you’re gonna get cut up. During her tenure as Madame Speaker, Pelosi sustained plenty of political scars from her take-no-prisoners approach to DC dramz that helped pass a butt-ton of legislation, most notably Obama’s controversial Affordable Care Act. Pop’s Warrior Princess had to deal with douchey music execs trying to force her into a cookie cutter image, so P!nk said blow me (one last kiss) and became the liberated #realtalk powerhouse we know today.
These lady leaders made time for their maternal instinct, too. Nancy is a doting mama bear (she famously said,”You come near the cubs, you’re dead.”) to 5 kids and P!nk melts for her new baby girl Willow Sage with motocross hottie Carey Hart. Both go hard for their causes — Pelosi pushing bills like whoa on the Hill and Pink using her star status for human and animal rights. Plus, Pelosi isn’t the only one with political swag — P!nk wrote a heated lyrical letter to George Dubya called “Dear Mr. President” back in 2006.
We hope Nancy and P!nk will never be anything but loud, so raise a glass for these fabulously fearless women and check out some of their greatest soundbytes…so far! And don’t worry, if you can’t tell who said what, we’ll still think you’re f****** perfect.
+QUIZ: Who Said It?! Democrat or Diva: Nancy Pelosi vs P!nk
1. “Can we drill your brains?”
2. “There’s not a lot of people out there that are as honest as I am.”
3. “You go through the gate. If the gate’s closed you go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we’ll pole-vault. If that doesn’t work, we’ll parachute in.”
4. “I have to speak for myself…I’m completely hands-on. You have to be if you want your points across.”
5. “I wanted to be independent. And they were always, you know, ‘Oh, you can’t do this, you can’t do that.’ Telling me all the things I couldn’t do.”
6. “Well actually, when I called them those names, I was being gentle. There are much worse things I could’ve said about them.”
7. “I love pushing buttons.”
8. “People are always so surprised when they meet me. Firstly, that I’m ‘so tiny’, and secondly that I’m ‘so sweet’. They seem surprised that they’re not scared of me.”
9. “Every minute is a new minute to me.”
10. “Anybody who’s ever dealt with me knows not to mess with me.”
11. “My dad raised me with some good advice: ‘Always tell the truth. Always shoot from the hip. You might not have many friends, but you’ll never have enemies, because people will always know where you’re coming from.”
12. “How can you say no child is left behind? We’re not dumb and we’re not blind.”
1. Nancy Pelosi 2. P!nk 3. Nancy Pelosi 4. P!nk 5. Nancy Pelosi 6. Nancy Pelosi 7. P!nk 8. P!nk 9. Nancy Pelosi 1o. Nancy Pelosi 11. P!nk 12. P!nk
You have the power to decide the outcome of the 2012 Election. Register to vote with our super easy registration tool. So, no excuses. Vote like a champ.
Additional reporting for this story by Maddy Roth